Design Research Award
Created in 2015 by IDC and Milliken, the annual Design Research Award recognizes individuals who demonstrate excellence and innovation through interior design research, including projects conducted at the masters or doctorate level and through major research projects by final-year students.
Applicants must complete an application form and their submitted research must prove relevance to the profession, define scope, exhibit integrity and outline the potential impact the research has on the profession or the human experience. Applications are open in April and recipients are notified in July. Please see the application form for full entry guidelines.
Applications for the Design Research Award are now open. Download the entry kit and submit by May 26.
- $5,000 cash prize for winner in the Educator/Practitioner Category
- $2,500 cash prize for winner in the Student Category
- A framed certificate and/or trophy presented at the IDC Annual Meeting in September
- Flight and accommodation to Annual Meeting location, if applicable
- The applicant is a current educator of interior design at any IDC recognized institution
- A Registered, Intern, or Educator member who is completing graduate studies at the masters or doctorate level (studying full-or part-time)
- A Registered, Intern, or Educator member who is conducting independent or third-party research
- The applicant must be a final-year student academically enrolled in an interior design program at an IDC recognized institution. Applicant must be a student member or their provincial interior design association at the time of submission.
- The applicant must be an intern member of their provincial interior design association in good standing at the time of submission.
- Applicants can study full- or part-time, or can be employed in a full-time or adjunct position
- Only one applicant per category is eligible to win
- Previous recipients of the Interior Design Research Award are not eligible to apply
- Research conducted by interior design educators at an IDC recognized institution
- Thesis research at the masters or doctorate level by Registered, Intern, or Educator members
- Third-party or interdependent research conducted by Registered, Intern, or Educator members
- Major Research Projects (MRP's) conducted by final-year students
- Published research is eligible
- The research must be the primary effort of the applicant
- Research must be completed within two years preceding the call for submissions
- Research previously submitted to the Interior Design Research Award will not be judged
Looking for more details? Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.